Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Reading Notes: Homer's Odyssey, Part A

Odyssey: Circe's Magic by Tony Kline


For this week's reading notes I am going to focus on pulling parts of the story I like, any dialogue or descriptors that I think I might imitate in my own writing. 

The Magic Spell:
- Open story with a powerful description that grabs the reader's attention immediately
        "At this, their hearts sank, remembering Laestrygonian Antiphates, and the fierce violence of the man-eating Cyclops. They groaned aloud, and wept great tears. But all their lamentation did no good."

- " Instead of rushing to attack my men, they rose on their hind legs and wagged their tails. Like dogs fawning round their master, back from a feast, bringing them the titbits they enjoy, the wolves and sharp-clawed lions fawned round my men, while they seeing these dread creatures were gripped by fear."

Help from Hermes:
- “Wretched man, where are you off to, wandering the hills of an unknown island all alone? Your friends are penned in Circe’s house, pigs in close-set sties. Have you come to free them?"

No comments:

Post a Comment