Thursday, January 16, 2020

Growth Mindset


Before today I had came across Carol Dweck's TED talks only once and that was when I was talking the Epics of India class. I have to say she is great. I enjoy listening to the different perspectives that come about through this TED Talks and what Carol has to say I could not agree more. I was surprised at how much our thoughts matched about modern education. I see myself as a person very close to the center of the growth-fixed mindset in my school work leaning a little more towards the fixed mindset primarily due to the how high the stakes are for me if I want to get into Dental school. Especially now that the admission stardards and rising grades are becoming increasingly important to pursue a health profession. Outside of academics I am almost to the growth side, because I enjoy life and love having challenges that I can overcome and be stronger afterwards. We live to learn and as Gandhi said, "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Ever since starting OU, the ride has been very enlightening to me of my personal attributes and school in general. My first semester at OU I realized that if I wanted to hang out with friends, go out to family dinners, while maintaining my grades I would have to work hard and could not leave room for procrastination. I figured out that the Biz was more distracting for me than studying at home or another place on campus. Finding a good place to study without being easily distracted was a challenge for me, but luckily I discovered the basement of Dale Hall and the center for student success within the Price College, which has been my study spot since my second week at OU. Needless to say I enjoy challenges, hence my interest in Biology.

I am actually very excited to learn about the growth mindset this semester! I have always believed that a person can never stop learning and as a school nerd new information is like candy to me. With this topic so relevant to today's education it make this even better and I Professor Gibbs has some more interesting information relating to growth mindset!

It is actually pretty scary that I am feeling like I can conquer anything at the moment. Even with so many hours this semester with labs and classes and in the mix I feel like a whole new person this semester and I have a feeling that is, because my trip to India. I mean who doesn't agree with me when I say a good vacation can make you feel like you brand new person. If I had to pick a class that I was most worried about this semester then it would probably be the labs, but otherwise I am ready for my semester.

Hope you all have a great day and don't forget...















1 comment:

  1. Similarly, I also found it difficult for me to study at the Bizzell Memorial Library during my freshmen year here at OU. It was far too busy and crowded for me to concentrate in the lower levels, and the upper levels were far too quiet. I discovered other places on campus to study, but I now do most of my studying in my apartment. Additionally, for me, engineering has been a tough and long 4 years, which illustrates how crucial it is to maintain a growth mindset and readily accept challenges to continually improve yourself!

    ReplyDelete