Thursday, January 30, 2020

Feedback Strategies


Well, We Are Working On Becoming Better Writers

In a post by Gravity Goldberg titled, "Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters A Growth Mindset," she talks of very useful strategies on providing feedback. I honestly wish my previous teachers had used this approach as I was learning to become a better, stronger writer. I have always felt that my writing was never good, no matter how many hours I spent writing, revising, and proofreading, and having others revise, I was never able to include everything that the teachers' wanted. I really liked how she was emphasizing the idea of learning the habits and writing styles of students and building on what is there. Showing how writers can improve with what they have instead of trying to get them to do something that is not there, which I completely agree with. She does say you can't change what you can't see in a mirror, power to people who think like that, my papers would probably have had much better grades if my teachers thought that way. Overall, I loved this article and I definitely will be taking from her to provide feedback on what is there and focus more on what the writer has done.

My other article I read was an article by Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman titled, "Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise?" In this article they discussed about how managers felt when they needed to provide feedback to others in their team. They found that colleagues value and put a great deal of emphasis on receiving positive feedback. So much so that it might effect the relationship with one another more than negative feedback does. Additionally, they found that giving back only negative feedback decreased the leader's effectiveness in the eyes of others. A couple of pieces that stood out to me that I will definitely be applying to when I give feedback are: "Some employees have described this as, “Quick to criticize and slow to praise.” Giving positive feedback is really quite simple. It’s OK if it’s brief – it just needs to be specific, rather than a general remark of “good job,” and ideally occurs soon after the praise-worthy incident. Our findings suggest that if you want to be seen as a good feedback-giver, you should proactively develop the skill of giving praise as well as criticism." Overall, this article was a great read as far as describing that there needs to be a balance between negative feedback and praise and that not everything is viewed from one perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment