Saturday, January 25, 2020

Well, Let's Get Crackin'...Topic Brainstorm

Hey all! There are so many interesting topics out there that it is getting really hard to narrow, which ones I really am more interested in. I love learning more about the Greeks, which makes this class more enjoyable! As I had mentioned in my intro I love learning, I truly believe no matter how old you get or how many years in school you spend there is always more to learn. As you'll see I am a big greek mythology fan and so the theme for this post is greek mythology! I am truly so excited for this project!!

The Greek Titans: This is an area that I am not particularly familiar with because most of my readings concentrated on the time involving Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. This does focus on the time before Zeus and the Olympians came to power and the ruling deities of Greece were the Titans. I would like to learn who was included in this group of Titan, how they were formed, what role did they play in the society, and how were they perceived by the Greeks. I love to learn the backgrounds first and then create fully detailed stories. I don't think I would want to model off of a sample story for this specific category. There is so much to learn about the Titans and I want the others to learn about Titans by retelling the original stories about them in a shorter form. More on the liens of taking a long story and revising it a bit and retelling it in my own words. I am not sure if I am making sense, but it would essentially be like a short synopsis. Although, I do know that I would like to focus on Cronus and Rhea.

The Greek Underworld: Through my readings of Greek mythology I know that Hades is the god of the underworld. Hades is known to have a fierce wrath and show no mercy. He has a gatekeeper and sends people out to bring those who have died down into the underworld. He is also one of three brothers, his other two bothers control the sky and sea. I would like to learn what led to Hades ruling the underworld domain and not one of the other two and if he had any children. I would like to tell stories that are set in modern times that still encompass and display Hades importance and role in the underworld functionings. I want to write short stories about an occurrence and tie that back to Hades role in what happens with that person. I am not very clear as to how I would start this, but I think even a few short stories from Hades perspective might be interesting.

Greek Heroines: This is not an area that I am particularly familiar with, so I thought it would be interesting to explore this area of the Greeks. I really do not have any previous knowledge in the area of Greek Heroines, so it will truly be a learning experience. If I pursue this topic I would like to know what their origins were (i.e. parents, the city they were born in, who they married, any children) and focus the stories on what made them the heroines rather than just another average Greek. I would like to have the stories in a first-person view and be descriptive of the challenges they faced and connect two or three heroines in some way. For example, I might do a first-person narrative of Penelope and her struggles during her wait for Odysseus

Gods and Goddesses of Olympus: Ask me what I do not know about the Greek gods and goddesses! I started first reading about them in 6th grade and to this day they are still my favorite summer reads. I love how there are so many of them and each plays a crucial role on earth. They remind of the Hindu gods and goddesses, there are so many of them it gets confusing to remember which role(s) each one plays. I want to specifically focus on Aphrodite, Athena, and Zeus for this project. They all serve different roles, but a human embodies all three typically. I would like this project to be more of like a storybook where the gods and goddesses are introduced through bedtime stories. There is something that happens/an event that occurs that would lead to gods/goddesses to come into the story and the reader through the story learns the power the god/goddesses yield. 

Athena Parthenos Reconstruction
Athena Parthenos Reconstruction

No comments:

Post a Comment