Friday, January 17, 2020

Time Strategies

Hello Everybody!

I am here today to write a little about my thoughts on time management. The funny thing is earlier this week I actually attended a time management workshop for my business major and we discussed many of the topics I read about for this class. Two of my favorites were
The Myth of Too Busy by Tim Grahl and
The Psychology of Checklists by Lauren Marchese

This is my second semester taking 21 hours and while some of you may think I am crazy, I am ready to tackle this semester. After coming to OU, this is only the second time I actually spent money on a physical planner, but I new if I wanted to succeed in my classes I was going to have to plan out my whole semester this first week. Sure it took about four hours, but now I have a plan and a schedule to work off of. I have a feeling this semester this planner of mine is going to be my life saver. After attending the time management workshop, I realized that having a planner and writing out your full semester schedule helps you get a better understanding of your semester and lets you know if you have room for other time commitments.

There are numerous time management strategies, but figuring out which ones work the best for you is up to you. I know it has taken me years, but I think I have a good plan for now. Time management strategies are important and when people ask me how I am able to do everything that I do, I always tell them that I have learned to manage my time and prioritize my list to ensure I am somewhat ahead, which later provides me flexibility in my schedule.

The article titled, "The Myth of Too Busy," could not have stated the importance of prioritizing better. We have to learn to say NO to things even if we don't want to. People tend to stress themselves out more when they spread themselves too thin, life should be enjoyed not lived in constant stress. I did not realize it until college, but prioritizing helps so much and it prevents procrastination at times.

Similar to the "Psychology of Checklists" article in the workshop we focused a lot on how important it is to set realistic goals, we should set a big goal and then set smaller goals that we think will help us reach that big goal. I completely agree with the suggestion of rewarding yourself after you have completed your checklist. Having a motivator will make the tasks seem much easier and that dread that usually accompanies a task list is not there.

Both these articles covered topics from my workshop and conveyed the same message that prioritizing and having a checklist with a reward are strategies to help make someone successful. I know I have always had some form of calendar to keep me on track of due dates and work deadlines. The articles really did not cover anything that I had not already heard before, but is was nice to see that many people have similar ideas on time management strategies. I know I am definitely in for a tough semester, but I know I will be able to stick through with my schedule.

If you need some helpful time management suggestions take a look at the two articles I have linked above!

Live on from yours truly,
Mansi Patel

Stress overload Curtesy of WellMind

No comments:

Post a Comment